Antelope in Saskatchewan, Grasslands National Park
Believe it or not, there are antelopes in Canada and they're the second fastest land animal in the world behind the cheetah. The Pronghorn antelope is native to North America and bears no relation to the African antelope.
These mammals once roamed the expansive prairies, foothills and grasslands of the continent. In Canada, the pronghorns antelope can still be found in southern Alberta and Saskatchewan.
These fleet-footed animals are skittish and fearful of humans. When I stopped to take this photo, they were cautious and timid by my presence. Soon after snapping this photo, they bolted over the rolling hills as quickly as they could run (or rather bounce). They can run up to 100 kilometers per hour!
When driving in the southern prairies, watch for pronghorn antelopes as they forage along the sides of the highway. They bolt easily & quickly. This photo was taken just outside Grasslands National Park.
Things to do in Grasslands National Park
- Take a driving tour of the grassland. It's wide-open country here. The desolation and silence is... tremendous!
- Discover the park on horseback.
- I did a hike in runners and stepped on a cactus. Man, that hurts! Even if it's +37 C in the hot sun, wear hiking boots.
- View the prairie dogs, burrowing owls, swift-fox & black-footed ferrets in their natural prairie environment.
- Visit the Visitor's Center in Val Marie, Saskatchewan and learn about the nature & history of the area. Sitting Bull took refuge close to here.
Driving directions to Grasslands National Park.
View Pronghorn Antelopes near Grasslands National Park in a larger map
Val Marie, Saskatchewan is located 345 kilometers (3.5 hours) southeast of Medicine Hat, Alberta or 361 kilometers (4 hours) southwest of Regina, Saskatchewan. The Monchy border crossing and the West Poplar River border crossing into Montana State is close to Grasslands National Park and is NEVER crowded. Check out other things to do in Saskatchewan.
Get more insider tips on Canadian Adventures at Scenic Travel Canada.